Keto Taco Casserole is a well-loved family favorite that's perfect for dinner.
Make this meaty, cheesy, low carb taco casserole any time you're in the mood for an easy to make, filling, and delicious meal.
KETO TACO CASSEROLE RECIPE
You can make taco casserole keto friendly with this simple recipe, stuffed with beef, cheese, and all of your favorite taco flavors.
Whether it's taco tuesday, or any other night of the week, everyone is always excited when I'm making this dish for dinner.
Low-carb tortillas are the secret ingredient in my keto taco casserole. They add satisfying, filling layers to the casserole. Some other keto taco casserole recipes leave out the tortillas, but I think using homemade keto tortillas makes my version so much better. A taco casserole without tortillas just doesn't feel right to me.
You might like to make my Keto Taco Pie instead if you don't want to add tortillas.
This keto taco bake is like a flavorful, creamy taco lasagna. Layers of beef, cheese, and low carb tortillas create the best ever keto taco casserole. This keto taco casserole is also gluten free and grain free.
INGREDIENTS IN KETO TACO CASSEROLE
Ground Beef - Ground beef is a taco favorite for me, but feel free to substitute with other ground meat that fits your diet. Shredded chicken can also be used, and it's a great way to use up leftovers.
Diced Chiles - These are optional, but chiles add so much flavor. If you don't love heat, leave them out or use just half of the can.
Beef Bone Broth - We will use this to cook our filling and add additional flavor. If you don't have bone broth, water will work or any other type of broth.
Taco Seasoning Mix - Use your favorite store bought brand, or make your own keto taco seasoning.
Cream Cheese - One block of cream cheese adds fat, protein, and a creamy consistency to the taco casserole.
Taco Sauce - I have to have this flavor in my taco dishes. Check labels to find a low carb taco sauce.
Low Carb Tortillas - We're only using two tortillas for this entire recipe to keep the carb count low. Choose your favorite, or make your own.
Shredded Mexican Cheese - I love using this blend of cheeses in Mexican dishes. Typically it includes cheddar, Monterey jack, and asadero cheeses.
Shredded Lettuce - This is optional, but a delicious topping for serving with your keto taco casserole.
Diced Tomato - Also optional, and a wonderful, colorful garnish. Read below if you need more garnish or topping ideas. Anything you'd put on a taco will work on keto taco casserole.
Sour Cream - If you like you can add a dollop on top of each serving. In the pictures here I drizzled it on! Sour cream is totally keto friendly, and always welcome on my tacos.
If you have any questions about Keto Taco Casserole, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE KETO TACO CASSEROLE
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add ground beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon until browned.
- Add chilies (if using), broth (or water), and taco seasoning and cook, allowing liquid to reduce and thicken. Remove from heat.
- Add cream cheese, stirring until creamy and well blended. Allow to cool slightly.
- Spread some of the taco sauce on the bottom of a prepared baking dish, then top with half of the taco meat mixture.
- Sprinkle on part of the cheese, then place one of the low carb tortillas (cut in half) on top.
- Repeat for the second layer.
- Top the last tortilla layer with remaining taco sauce and remaining cheese.
- Bake as directed in the recipe. Serve garnished with sour cream, lettuce, and tomato.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
- Use different protein. You are not required to use ground beef to make keto taco casserole. Try ground turkey, shredded chicken breast, or ground game meat if you like.
- Add veggies. You can saute your favorite low carb veggies and add them to the mix to add bulk and flavor to your casserole. Try mushrooms, cauliflower, or bell peppers.
- Make it Spicy. If you like your taco casserole extra spicy, enjoy it with your favorite low carb hot sauce. We like Frank's Red Hot or Seite Hot Sauce.
- Play with toppings. Sliced avocado or guacamole makes a great creamy topping for this casserole. Sliced black olives and green onion is also delicious. You can also add your favorite keto salsa, crushed keto chips, or any of your favorite low carb taco toppings.
WHAT SIZE BAKING DISH TO USE FOR TACO CASSEROLE?
I use a 1 ½ quart baking dish to make this casserole. It's pretty forgiving, and can be made in other sizes too. Try a 9x9 inch sqare pan or a medium oval size pan as well.
CAN I DOUBLE THE RECIPE?
Yes you can feel free to double this recipe to feed a crowd. Just use a 9 x13 inch pan. Add more time in the oven if you need to get the center warmed through.
HOW DO I GET THE CHEESE BROWNED AND CRISPY?
Turn on the broiler at the end of the baking time if you want the top layer of your taco casserole to be browned and crispy. Keep an eye on it so that the cheese doesn't burn. It should only take a couple of minutes to broil up nicely.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH KETO TACO BAKE
The great thing about casseroles is that you really don't have to serve anything else with them. Keto taco casserole is a meal in itself.
I suggest adding lettuce and tomato when serving to get some veggies in the mix, but you could also serve a salad on the side. This Keto Coleslaw is a common side dish at our dinner table, it goes with everything.
Do some of your family members need or want the carbs with their dinner? Serve some rice on the side to keep everyone happy. Cauliflower rice added into this casserole or served on the side is also a great low carb option.
STORING AND REHEATING KETO TACO CASSEROLE
Store leftover taco casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Individual portions can be frozen for up to 6 months, making them great for grab and go meals.
To reheat individual servings, thaw if necessary, then warm in the microwave for 30 to 90 seconds.
IS TACO SEASONING KETO?
Taco seasoning that comes in packets for making tacos typically includes thickeners such as corn starch, making it not very keto friendly. Look for taco seasoning that only includes spices, or mix up your own simple taco seasoning blend.
I recommend making seasonings and sauces whenever possible when eating a keto diet. You'll always be able to make them healthier from scratch, and it's really not that hard to do.
WHAT TACO SAUCE IS KETO FRIENDLY?
You'll want to check lables when shopping for a low carb taco sauce. Most of them will have some sugar, so depending on if you are being very strict keto or just low carb, you'll have different options.
Herdez taco sauces are often under 1 gram net carbs per serving. Ortega makes some street taco sauces that are low in net carbs as well. Let me know if you have a favorite keto taco sauce in the comments!
I sometimes use this Keto Enchilada Sauce as taco sauce too.
WHAT KIND OF TORTILLAS ARE KETO FRIENDLY?
There are many low-carb tortilla options at the grocery store these days. When shopping, look for those that have low net carbs.
Typically they have some carbs, but enough fiber to make the net carb numbers low.
You might also find vegetable based tortillas, although I would avoid using the type of wraps that are egg-based for this recipe. They will get too soft.
If you're really wanting a keto treat, make your own keto tortillas. Whichever type you choose, they will all work wonderfully with this keto taco casserole.
MORE DELICIOUS KETO CASSEROLE RECIPES
Try one of these the next time you're stuck on what to make for dinner!
Keto Cheeseburger Casserole is like a deluxe burger without the bun, and with tons more flavor.
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole with Steak is a great choice for those busy weeknights and a delicious meal the whole family will love.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole is made keto using cauliflower in place of potatoes. It's a family favorite at my house.
Keto BBQ Chicken Casserole is a delicious fusion of tangy BBQ sauce, creamy cheese, and the crunch of bacon. Made with affordable and simple ingredients your entire family will love.
Keto Eggplant Parmesan is a classic Italian meal in casserole form.
You might like this recipe I found for low carb Zucchini Pizza Casserole too.
We hope you enjoyed reading this article. Please help us out by leaving a quick review and star ★ rating below.
LET'S GET SOCIAL, you can follow Four Score Living on Pinterest. You can also leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Did you make this Keto Taco Casserole? Please leave a comment below letting me know what you thought.
- 1 ¼ lb ground beef
- 1 can diced chilies (optional)
- ¼ cup beef bone broth (or water)
- 2T taco seasoning mix (or homemade)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup taco sauce
- 2 low carb tortillas, cut in half
- 2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Shredded lettuce, optional
- Diced tomato, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 1½-quart baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add ground beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, for 5-6 minutes or until browned. Add chilies (if using), broth (or water), and taco seasoning and cook, allowing liquid to reduce and thicken. Remove from heat.
- Add cream cheese, stirring until creamy and well blended. Allow to cool slightly.
- To assemble, spread 2T taco sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish, then top with ½ of the taco meat mixture. Sprinkle on ¾ cup of cheese, then place one of the low carb tortillas on top.
- Repeat for the second layer. Top tortilla layer with remaining taco sauce and remaining cheese. Bake for 25 minutes.
- When ready to serve, garnish with shredded lettuce, diced tomato, and sour cream, if desired.
- Adjust the spiciness of the casserole by adding or removing some of the chilies.
- Using beef bone broth rather than water adds extra flavor and protein to the dish.
- To brown the top, place the casserole under the broiler for a few minutes at the end of the cook time.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to six months.
- Thaw before reheating.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 613Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 168mgSodium: 777mgCarbohydrates: 10gNet Carbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 44g
The nutrition information for this recipe is an approximate total per serving. Please double check the nutrition information for your exact ingredients and brands.