Keto Cheeseburger Casserole is meaty, cheesy, satisfying, and topped with everything you'd expect on a deluxe cheeseburger.
Enjoy this easy to make keto casserole that the whole family will love.
KETO CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE RECIPE
This keto casserole is going to be high on your list of dinner time favorites for sure. Who doesn't love a cheeseburger? This casserole is everything you love about a deluxe burger without any carb heavy bread.
You won't even miss the bread with this delicious dish! Ground meat is mixed with cream cheese, eggs, and seasonings, then topped with lots of melty cheese and crunchy bacon.
All of the expected burger fixings go on top, including lettuce, tomato, and pickles.
Keto Cheeseburger Casserole is perfect for a family dinner or any time a cheeseburger craving pops up. Enjoy with my Keto Rolls for the ultimate burger experience.
INGREDIENTS IN KETO CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE
Ground Beef - Ground beef is perfect for this recipe, but feel free to experiment with ground bison or turkey. Any ground meat can be used.
Garlic - Two cloves of minced garlic add lots of savory flavor.
Onion Powder - Onion powder gives the same onion flavor as fresh sauteed onions. Feel free to add fresh onions as well, but using the powder instead reduces the carbs a bit.
Salt - Seasoning well with salt makes this keto casserole perfect.
Pepper - A bit of pepper balances the other flavors.
Worcestershire Sauce - This is the secret ingredient for making ground beef taste like an aged steak! I suggest checking to be sure your sauce is gluten free, most are in the US, but in other areas they may have gluten ingredients that add carbs or may disagree with you.
Cream Cheese - I love cream cheese for bulking up keto casseroles. It's nice and creamy yet sturdy enough to hold everything together.
Eggs - Eggs are added in to the mix. They add protein and stability to the meat mixture.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese - This will melt beautifully over the top of your keto casserole. Shred your own cheese from a block to avoid additives.
Heavy Whipping Cream - This adds additional creaminess to the meat mixture.
Dijon Mustard - I love the flavor of Dijon mustard with meat. We will add some into the cheeseburger casserole and use some to garnish it as well.
Bacon - Crispy, salty, smoky, chopped bacon tops this beautiful dish.
Shredded Lettuce, Diced Tomatoes, Dill pickle slices - All of these items make a gorgeous garnish, and add to the classic cheeseburger experience.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE KETO CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE
- Place ground beef into a skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook the ground beef, breaking it into chunks as it cooks.
- When the beef if no longer pink, add the Worcestershire sauce and cream cheese, stirring until the cheese is melted and the mixture is well combined. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, 1 cup shredded cheese, heavy cream, and mustard. Whisk well.
- Spread cooked beef mixture onto the bottom of a prepared baking casserole dish. Top with half of the bacon.
- Pour the egg mixture over the beef and bacon.
- Top with remaining cheese before baking as directed in the recipe below.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
HOW TO GARNISH CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE
I am all about the garnishes for this dish. They really make keto cheeseburger casserole taste like a dressed up cheeseburger! Use any or all of the following to top your keto casserole.
- Chopped bacon pieces
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Dill pickle slices
- Dijon or yellow mustard
- Sugar-free ketchup
- Low carb salad dressings
- Sesame Seeds
- Sliced avocado
- Keto BBQ Sauce
My favorite way to garnish cheeseburger casserole is with a drizzle of mustard, fresh romaine lettuce, diced tomatoes, and sesame seeds, as you can see in the pictures!
Another favorite includes sliced avocados and a drizzle of low carb ranch dressing. Yum! Add some keto BBQ sauce, you won't regret the flavor bomb you made.
IS GROUND BEEF KETO?
Ground beef is a low-cost and versatile protein source that is totally keto approved. I almost always have a pound or two of beef in my freezer, and we make many keto ground beef recipes.
With this recipe, I know that as long as I have some ground beef around I'll be able to make an easy and delicious keto meal. Keto Chili is another easy and delicious meal to try. Plus there are the classics, like meatloaf and meatballs.
CAN I ADD MORE VEGGIES TO CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE?
You definitely can bulk up this recipe with additional keto vegetables. Chopped or riced cauliflower or broccoli can be added. If adding this in addition to the ground beef, you will want to increase the amount of cream cheese and cream in the recipe and use a larger pan.
I haven't tested that version yet to be sure exactly how much you should add, but enough to keep the casserole hydrated.
Also consider adding sauteed mushrooms and a bit of swiss cheese to make this a mushroom swiss cheeseburger casserole.
CAN I MAKE KETO CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE AHEAD OF TIME?
This keto casserole actually makes delicious leftovers. I think it might even be more delicious when enjoyed the next day. Leftover keto cheeseburger casserole makes for excellent work lunches.
Feel free to make this casserole up to three days ahead of time, just save the garnish for serving so that the lettuce and tomatoes don't get soggy.
CAN I FREEZE KETO CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE?
Keto Cheeseburger Casserole can be frozen in individual servings for up to three months. To reheat, allow to thaw overnight and then microwave. You can also reheat it from frozen, just use the microwave at half power.
You can also freeze the whole casserole for up to six months. Simply assemble the casserole and let it cool to room temperature. Instead of baking it, wrap it with plastic wrap and a layer of foil. When ready to cook, allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge, then follow the recipe instructions to bake.
Cheeseburger casserole is basically deconstructed cheeseburgers in a baking pan with all the fixings, minus the bun. If you need another quick option, you can make an air fryer frozen burger.
If you're a real cheeseburger fan you may like these bacon cheeseburger meatballs. The recipe isn't exactly keto but a few quick swaps would make it that way.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH KETO CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE
The beauty of a good casserole is that it is a meal all by itself. This keto casserole is packed with protein and fats, and even has some veggies in it!
If you want to balance out your meal a bit more, try some of these keto side dishes.
Keto Rolls are the perfect match for a cheeseburger, and go so well with cheeseburger casserole too.
WHAT TYPE OF BEEF SHOULD I USE FOR CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE?
You can use any type of ground meat that you prefer to make a cheeseburger with. I prefer to use a lower fat ground beef, like 90/10. I find that you end up with more meat that way, and don't need to drain off as much fat after you've cooked the meat.
Ground bison, ground chicken, ground turkey, or ground game meats will be delicious in keto cheeseburger casserole as well.
HOW DO I MAKE A CASSEROLE WITHOUT CARBS?
If you grew up eating casseroles, you might be having trouble figuring out how this can be a casserole without any noodles or rice in it! I think we all have a favorite casserole that we used to enjoy, or still enjoy occasionally.
Making a low carb casserole is as simple as removing the carb heavy ingredients and replaceing them with more of the meat, cheese, and vegetables.
HOW MANY CARBS ARE IN THIS RECIPE?
My version of Keto Cheeseburger Casserole has just 5 grams of carbs and 1 gram of fiber per serving. A serving of this casserole is ⅙th of the pan! That's only 4 grams net carbs in a very filling and satisfying portion size.
Our Favorite Kitchen Tools:
What's your favorite kitchen tool? Leave a comment below letting us know.
LET'S GET SOCIAL, you can follow Four Score Living on Pinterest. You can also leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Did you make this Keto Cheeseburger Casserole Recipe? Please leave a comment below letting me know what you thought.
- 1 ¼ pounds ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, plus more to garnish
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped, divided
- Shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, dill pickle slices, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 1 to 1 ½-quart casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the ground beef in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook the ground beef, breaking it into chunks as it cooks.
- When the beef is no longer pink, add the Worcestershire sauce and cream cheese, stirring until it’s melted and well combined. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, 1 cup shredded cheese, heavy cream, and mustard. Whisk well.
- Spread cooked beef mixture onto the bottom of the prepared dish. Top with half of the bacon pieces.
- Pour the egg mixture over the beef and bacon. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with sliced pickles, ketchup, and mustard as desired, then serve warm.
- To make ahead, cook fully and refrigerate for up to three days. Re-heat and add toppings before serving.
- You can freeze the casserole for 3 to 6 months, either before or after cooking. To cook from frozen, allow to come to room temperature in the fridge overnight. If the casserole was cooked already, simply reheat in a 350°F oven until warmed through. If it hasn't yet been cooked, bake according to the recipe instructions.
- Swap the ground beef with any type of ground meat, including chicken, turkey, bison, or venison.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: ⅙ of recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 605Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 231mgSodium: 859mgCarbohydrates: 5gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 41g
The nutrition information for this recipe is an approximate total per serving. Please double check the nutrition information for your exact ingredients and brands.