A keto gravy that only takes five minutes to make, has less than 1 carb per serving, and can be made with beef, chicken, turkey, or veggie broths, meat drippings, or bouillon cubes. You are going to love how quickly this savory, thick low carb gravy comes together.
For more recipe ideas check out our Keto Recipes section.
This is our go-to recipe for all things gravy. This keto gravy recipe only requires a few ingredients, including broth (or cooled turkey drippings) – and you can switch up the type of broth you use in this Five Minute Keto Gravy to make it work for the meal you are serving.
Also, this gravy recipe is fail proof (as long as you keep stirring while it cooks and thickens) and it’s ready in five minutes.
This easy low carb gravy recipe is smooth and savory and a huge hit in my house of picky eaters – so I had to share it with you. It’s recipe is simple enough that I’ll make it any time of year when we want gravy.
Low Carb Gravy
And my oldest daughter and I love gravy so much, that we make it anytime my husband makes “faux” mashed potatoes, otherwise known as mashed cauliflower.
This low carb gravy isn’t overpowering and it adds just enough extra texture and flavor, that it works well on other sides like Keto Stuffing.
Using xanthan gum in gravy
The trick with using xanthan gum is that you have to add it to cold ingredients or make a slurry with it, or it will clump up in the gravy – the same with most starches.
Make sure to add your xanthan to a cold liquid. All the ingredients in this low carb gravy should rise in temperature together while you are whisking it over the stove.
How to make keto gravy
- Gather all your ingredients. Make sure they are all cold, or at room temperature. If you are using meat drippings, bring it to room temperature before you begin.
- Add all the ingredients to a small pot and whisk until the xanthan is absorbed. There may be a few clumps on the top, but don’t worry, those will cook out.
- Turn on your stove to medium-high heat. Bring your gravy to a boil and continue to whisk for one minute. It should take about five minutes from start to finish.
- Remove the gravy from the stove. Serve hot.
For the full list of ingredients, see the keto gravy recipe card below.
Dairy-Free Keto Gravy
You can use dairy-free butter in place of the butter in this keto gravy recipe to make dairy-free keto gravy. Dairy-free butter tends to be salty. Add salt to taste after you’ve made the gravy to control the level of saltiness.
Tips for making keto gravy
There are a couple of quick tips that YOU MUST READ. They will really help you make the perfect fail-proof keto gravy.
- Start with cold ingredients (or room temperature).
- Put all the ingredients in the pot THEN heat. If you don’t your xanthan will clump.
- You can use regular butter, or dairy-free butter.
- All broth options work (chicken, turkey, veggie, beef).
- If you use turkey or other meat drippings, let it come to room temperature first. Also, test to see how strong the flavor is, you might want to add water.
- If you don’t have broth or turkey drippings, you can use bullion cubes to make broth.
Again, follow these simple tips and you will have the perfect easy low carb gravy.
I forgot to add the xanthan before I cooked the other ingredients, what do I do?
If you forgot to add the xanthan before cooking, mix the xanthan in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of cold broth or cooled turkey drippings, then add it to the hot ingredients. Keep boiling the gravy, and stirring until you reach the desired thickness.
I usually make gravy with the leftover broth (a.k.a drippings) from cooking meats and when I developed this recipe we didn’t have any so I had to compromise. Broth it was!
Easy right? You can add extra spices (like pepper, sage, etc.) if you like. But really, it’s perfect as is. Simply place the ingredients in the pan cold or at room temperature, whisk, and serve!
Did you make this keto gravy? Please stop back by and let me know what you thought.
Nutrition Information: Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 60Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 135mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g