Keto Enchiladas with ground beef, melty cheese, and a mildly spicy, savory sauce will quickly become a family favorite meal.
Finish your low carb enchiladas with your favorite toppings for an authentic and delicious Mexican dinner.
KETO ENCHILADAS RECIPE
Make up a batch of my Keto Enchilada Sauce and get ready for a simple to follow recipe for low carb enchiladas that the whole family will love and ask you to make over and over again.
INGREDIENTS IN KETO ENCHILADAS
Ground Beef - I love ground beef in enchiladas. Substitute ground turkey or game meat to mix it up.
Green Bell Pepper- Diced small and cooked up with the meat, green pepper adds extra flavor to your filling.
Onion - Adds more flavor and bulk to your enchilada mix.
Taco Seasoning - Use your favorite low carb taco seasoning here, or make your own keto taco seasoning.
Water - Mix in water with the taco seasoning.
Shredded Mexican Cheese - Generally a blend of cheeses that melts perfectly for tacos or other Mexican dishes.
Low Carb Tortillas - Use a tortilla brand with a low net carb count.
Keto Enchilada Sauce - I've got you covered with a delicious Keto Enchilada Sauce Recipe. Make this ahead of time.
Sour Cream, Diced Avocado, Guacamole, or Cilantro - All optional, but delicious for serving with your enchiladas.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE KETO ENCHILADAS
- Brown the ground beef, pepper, and onion in a skillet, breaking down large chunks into smaller ones.
- Add in the taco seasoning and water and stir to combine, then simmer until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Spread about ½ cup of enchilada sauce evenly on the bottom of prepared casserole dish.
- Add ⅓ cup of ground beef mixture in a straight line in the center of each tortilla. Top with cheese.
- Roll each tortilla up tightly.
- Place rolled tortillas seam side down in the casserole dish. Continue until all ingredients are used and the casserole dish is full.
- Spread the rest of the enchilada sauce over the top of the tortillas, making sure to coat each tortilla.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese all over the top and bake as directed.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
ARE ENCHILADAS KETO?
Traditionally, beef and cheese enchiladas have a filling that's keto, but the tortillas add too many carbs for the whole recipe to fit in the Keto diet.
This recipe uses a low carb tortilla to save on carbs. Low carb tortillas have come a long way and I find them to be totally delicious.
CAN I MAKE KETO ENCHILADAS AHEAD OF TIME?
Putting together enchiladas does take a few minutes. You could assemble your enchiladas in the baking dish up to a day ahead and store them in the fridge.
When ready to bake, remove the enchiladas from the pan and assemble as directed with the sauce on the bottom and top of the tortillas. Add cheese and pop the pan in the oven.
I would avoid adding the sauce ahead of time because the enchiladas might soak up too much of it and get soggy.
KETO ENCHILADAS VARIATIONS
This recipe is a classic beef and cheese enchilada dish, but you can use this method to create different flavors and make this recipe your own.
- Try shredded chicken or roast pork instead of ground meat.
- Use colby jack cheese or even pepper jack for a little extra heat.
- Add extra low carb veggies to your filling like bell peppers, mushrooms, or greens.
- Serve your enchiladas with low carb toppings. I like sour cream and avocado. You could also use salsa, black olives, jalapeños, or diced red onion.
Our Favorite Kitchen Tools:
What's your favorite kitchen tool? Leave a comment below letting us know.
Did you make this Keto Enchiladas Recipe? Please leave a comment below letting me know what you thought.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with oil and set aside.
- Brown the ground beef, pepper, and onion in a skillet over medium heat, breaking down large chunks into smaller ones. Add in the taco seasoning and water and stir to combine, then simmer until the water is absorbed into the ground beef. Remove from heat.
- Spread ~½ cup of the enchilada sauce evenly on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Add ⅓ cup of the ground beef mixture in a straight line to the center of each tortilla. Add about ¼ cup of the shredded cheese, then roll up tightly. Place the rolled tortilla seam side down in the casserole dish. Repeat with remaining ingredients until the casserole dish is full.
- Spread the rest of the enchilada sauce over the top of the tortillas, making sure to coat each tortilla. Sprinkle the remaining cheese all over the top and bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the center is bubbly.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- Keto toppings for enchiladas include avocado, guacamole, cilantro, salsa, olives, or jalapenos.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 425Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 1078mgCarbohydrates: 12gNet Carbohydrates: 6gFiber: 6gSugar: 2gProtein: 31g
The nutrition information for this recipe is an approximate total per serving. Please double check the nutrition information for your exact ingredients and brands.