Keto Fajitas are a simple and easy recipe for delicious low carb Mexican food.
Create a flavorful, high protein, low carb dinner with this chicken, marinated in a delicious blend of spices, lime, and seasonings.
This easy Keto Fajitas recipe uses just a handful of simple ingredients and is cooked on the stove in just a few minutes.
KETO FAJITAS RECIPE
This Skillet Chicken Fajitas Recipe is quick to make, low carb, and super tasty! You can have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes, making this recipe perfect for a busy weeknight.
Tacos, fajitas, burritos, chimichangas - you name it, and I like it! Mexican food is one of my favorite things to cook and order out. Keto Chicken Fajitas with peppers and onions have become a dinner time favorite now.
While Mexican food does generally involve high carb ingredients like tortillas, rice, and beans, it’s easy to make keto fajitas by making some simple changes to that tradition.
If you need a vegetarian or vegan option, try these Tofu Sofritas.
You can enjoy delicious Mexican food on Keto!
INGREDIENTS IN KETO CHICKEN FAJITAS
A simple keto fajita seasoning and a quick marinade make this chicken delicious!
Boneless Chicken Breast - You’ll need about one pound of boneless, skinless chicken for this recipe. Feel free to use dark meat if you prefer it.
Bell Peppers - For a beautiful, colorful presentation, I used one each of red, yellow, and green peppers. Cut your peppers into thin strips as shown so that they cook quickly and at the same time.
Onion - Slice one yellow or white onion into slices similarly sized as the peppers.
Lime Juice - Lime is the star of our chicken fajita marinade. It adds acidity for both flavor and tenderizing the meat.
Olive Oil - A bit of quality fat in the marinade makes the chicken juicy and tasty.
Garlic- Mince up two cloves of garlic to add extra flavor.
Cumin - I add cumin to almost all of my Mexican recipes. It’s warm, smoky, and perfect here.
Red Chili Powder - for a bit of heat, this is added to the marinade too. You can add more or less to taste.
Salt - Season the chicken according to your own preferences.
Basil - Optional, fresh basil leaves are a delicious addition to keto chicken fajitas and are served on the side.
Cherry Tomatoes - Just a handful of tomatoes really brings out the flavor of the fajita seasoned chicken. These are optional.
Avocados - Who wouldn’t love some sliced avocado with their keto fajitas? Avocado adds lots of healthy fats to your meal.
If you have any questions about making keto chicken fajitas, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE KETO FAJITAS
- Add the chicken, lime juice, garlic, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, cumin, salt, and chili powder to a large mixing bowl and mix well. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large pan on medium-high heat until smoking hot. Add the remaining olive oil to the pan. Add the chicken and cook on both sides until charred and cooked through.
- Transfer keto chicken fajita meat to a plate.
- Add the onions and peppers to the hot pan. If needed, add more oil.
- Cook peppers and onions until tender.
- Serve with the chicken.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions for making Keto Fajitas, please see the recipe below.
Serve keto chicken fajitas with sliced avocado, halved cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil leaves. Add your favorite toppings. If desired, serve with cauliflower rice or Keto Tortillas (pictured below).
Don't forget to garnish your plates with a squeeze of fresh lime juice!
For another meal with similar flavors, try this keto gumbo.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS KETO FAJITAS RECIPE
Prep ahead by cutting up all of the vegetables the night before.
Adjust the fajita seasoning if you like. Extra red chili powder will give you more spicy flavor. You can also use your favorite fajita seasoning in place of the spices in this recipe if you like.
Don't marinate too long. Chicken can start to change texture if left to marinate in citrus for too long. 30 minutes is the perfect amount of time, and you should avoid letting the chicken marinate for more than an hour.
Make Extra by doubling the recipe. Depending on the size of your skillet, you may need to cook the chicken in two batches, but you'll save time on the prep.
Use a meat thermometer to be sure that your chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F/74°C.
ADDITIONS FOR KETO FAJITAS
You can add low carb veggies to this recipe to give it more bulk and flavor.
- Fresh Jalapeno will give some heat to the dish. You can sautee it with the bell peppers or add it in raw at the end.
- Mushrooms, sautéed with the peppers and onions or served on the side would be a delicious addition. A local to me quick serve restaurant does a low carb fajita bowl with lots of mushrooms and I love it!
- Herbs such as cilantro or parsley can give you plenty of fresh, bright flavor.
- Add your favorite cheese if you want to. Try cheddar, cotija, or queso fresca.
- This 4 Ingredient Guacamole can be used in place of the sliced avocado, and tomatoes can be left out if they don’t fit in your carbs for the day.
ARE FAJITAS VEGETABLES KETO FRIENDLY?
While peppers and onions do have some natural sugars in them, they are a delicious and necessary part of this low-carb fajita recipe. If you are concerned about the carbs in onions and peppers, you can use less of them. Feel free to add other low carb vegetables in their place.
This recipe also calls for cherry tomatoes. Tomatoes are technically a fruit but they are keto friendly. A whole half cup of small tomatoes has between 3 and 5 grams of carbs, and you'll have just a portion of that in each serving of this recipe.
HOW MANY CARBS ARE IN CHICKEN FAJITAS WITHOUT TORTILLAS?
This keto fajitas recipe with chicken, peppers, and onions has 12 grams of carbs and 8 grams of fiber in each serving, making it a 4 grams net carb meal.
CAN I MAKE KETO STEAK FAJITAS WITH THIS RECIPE?
Yes, other proteins will work well with these seasonings too. Try steak strips or shrimp. If using shrimp, reduce the marinating time to 15-20 minutes.
You can use two or more different proteins to make chicken and steak keto fajitas too. If you've ordered the combo fajitas at a Mexican restaurant you know how good that is! Simply cook each meat separately to ensure that they are cooked properly.
HOW LONG SHOULD I MARINATE CHICKEN FAJITAS?
With this keto fajitas recipe, you should marinate for at least 30 minutes but can leave in the marinade for up to 8 hours. The lime juice in the marinade will start to break down the chicken a bit too much after that.
ARE CHICKEN FAJITAS KETO FRIENDLY?
When cooking or ordering Mexican food, you need to watch out for carbs in the form of tortillas, chips, rice, and beans. Chicken Fajitas are typically served with flour tortillas in restaurants, so they aren't a great keto choice as is. If you skip the tortillas, like we're doing here, fajitas are Keto friendly!
You can also substitute with Keto tortillas or another low carb option to make this fajita recipe very keto friendly. As always, you should choose foods that fit your specific dietary needs.
Use your homemade Keto Tortillas to turn this recipe into Chicken Fajita Quesadillas.
CAN I MAKE KETO CHICKEN FAJITA BOWLS?
Yes! This recipe is perfect for making open-face, tortilla-free fajitas, and makes wonderful make-ahead lunches for meal prep. To make keto chicken fajita bowls, serve the cooked fajitas chicken and vegetables with cauliflower rice, shirataki rice, over shredded cabbage, wrapped in a lettuce leaf, or just on their own.
These keto chicken fajitas are my favorite for making into bowls for lunch meal prep. Simply cook your fajitas and portion them into lunch containers. Let cool a bit before sealing and storing in the fridge for up to 4 days.
MORE KETO DINNER RECIPES YOU CAN MAKE
If you like fajitas, you are going to enjoy our Keto Taco Soup, which is packed with many of these same flavors, and lots of tasty shredded chicken.
For a super satisfying and filling taco meal, try making Keto Taco Pie.
Easy Marry Me Chicken is an irresistible skillet dinner recipe that everyone will love.
Keto Meatloaf is a great family meal, perfect for the weekend.
Did you make this Keto Chicken Fajitas Recipe? Please leave a comment below letting me know what you thought.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 small bell peppers (red, yellow, green), cut into strips
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- Add the chicken, lime juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, minced garlic, cumin powder, red chili powder, and salt to a large mixing bowl and mix well. Let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large pan on medium-high heat until smoking hot.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan. Cook the chicken on both sides until charred and cooked through.
- Once cooked through, transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the onion and peppers to the pan. Add more oil if needed. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Transfer the peppers and onions to a plate.
- Serve with cauliflower rice, keto tortillas and your favorite fajita toppings.
- You can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs to make these keto chicken fajitas.
- Make sure to use a high-temperature oil, like olive oil.
- You can serve these keto fajitas with your favorite toppings. Try sour cream, guacamole, or cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: ¼ pound chicken + veggies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 330mgCarbohydrates: 12gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 8gSugar: 2gProtein: 39g
The nutrition information for this recipe is an approximate total per serving. Please double check the nutrition information for your exact ingredients and brands.