A flavorful, healthy keto taco soup that uses only a handful of ingredients. This keto soup recipe is naturally dairy-free but I've included instructions on what to add to make a creamy keto taco soup.
Keto Taco Soup Recipe
If you love tacos but you don't want the extra carbs from the tortillas, you're going to love this keto taco soup.
This keto soup is super simple to make, it uses a handful of ingredients and it's ready in no time. We love enjoying this taco soup with Keto Cornbread.
Is taco soup keto?
Traditional taco soup usually has some sort of an added grain or carb ingredient, for example some are topped with crushed tortilla chips, so it's not keto unless you make a keto friendly version.
This keto taco soup recipe doesn't have any additional ingredients and it's naturally low carb.
It's also dairy-free (if you don't top it with cheese or sour cream) but you can make it a creamy taco soup, if you like.
Creamy Keto Taco Soup
If you like your keto soup recipes creamy, you can take this keto taco soup to the next level by stirring in 1 cup of shredded cheese, or ½ cup of sour cream or 4-8 oz. of cream cheese.
You can add more or as little as you like to get it to the creaminess that you prefer.
How to make keto taco soup
- Add oil, onions and bell pepper to a large cooking pot and cook over medium heat until the onions are cooked and translucent.
- Add the ground beef, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon or spatula as it cooks.
- Continue to cook the beef until it's brown and cooked through.
- Add the diced tomatoes, broth, and taco seasoning and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the stove, remove from the heat, and serve this keto soup hot with toppings.
The numbered steps above match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes only. Please see the printable recipe card below.
How long can you store keto taco soup?
This keto soup will last up to 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If you add dairy to make it a creamy taco soup, it will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze keto taco soup?
Yes! You can freeze this keto taco soup. Freeze it in an air-tight container for up to 3 months in a frost free freezer, or up to 6 months in a non-frost free freezer.
Toppings for keto taco soup
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Chopped Onion
- Sliced Green Onion
- Chopped Tomatoes
You can top this keto soup with your favorite toppings just make sure to update your nutritional information to include the toppings you added.
How to make keto taco soup in a crockpot
You can make this keto taco soup recipe in a crockpot or any other slow cooker. Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, making sure to break up the ground beef as you add it in.
Give it a quick stir. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 4-5 hours.
How to make keto taco soup in an Instant Pot
Sautee onions, bell pepper, and beef in the instant pot using the sauté function until the ground beef is brown. Add all the remaining ingredients, give it a quick stir, and manually set the pressure to high for 5 minutes.
You can use the quick release button or release naturally.
If you like to make your own taco seasoning, you'll want to make this keto taco seasoning.
You can also purchase taco seasoning at the store, just be sure to check the ingredients and nutrition information to make sure it keto friendly.
Our Favorite Kitchen Tools:
What's your favorite kitchen tool? Leave a comment below letting us know.
If you make this keto taco soup, please come back and let me know what you thought! If you have a question, please leave it in the comments and I will get back to you.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup broth (chicken or beef)
- 3 ½ tablespoons keto taco seasoning (about one 1 oz. packet worth)
- Add oil, onions, and bell pepper to a large cooking pot and cook over medium heat until the onions are cooked and translucent.
- Add the ground beef, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon or spatula as it cooks. Continue to cook the beef until it's brown and cooked through.
- Add the diced tomatoes, broth, and taco seasoning, and bring it to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the stove, remove the cooking pot from the heat, and serve this keto soup hot with toppings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 380Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 784mgCarbohydrates: 9gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 33g
The nutrition information for this recipe is an approximate total per serving. Please double check the nutrition information for your exact ingredients and brands.