A classic Italian style comfort dish, Keto Eggplant Parmesan is saucy, cheesy, and delicious.
There is no need for breadcrumbs when you can create a crispy keto eggplant breading with almond flour and pork rinds.
For another crowd-pleasing comfort food meal, try my Low Carb Meatloaf.
If you love Italian inspired dishes, you'll want to try this keto lasagna next.
KETO EGGPLANT PARMESAN RECIPE
Eggplant parmesan is a hearty dish often served for a large family dinner. An Italian specialty, many people enjoy this saucy casserole layered with breaded eggplant cutlets and cheese.
Can we enjoy Eggplant Parmesan on a keto diet? Yes, of course we can! With this recipe for low carb eggplant parmesan, you can create a delicious keto comfort food meal that the whole family will enjoy. Even the ones who eat carbs will like this keto version.
This Keto Eggplant Parm has just 10 grams net carbs in each generous serving. We are substituting crushed pork rinds for the breadcrumbs that are traditionally called for in this recipe, creating the same crispy coating for the eggplant, but without the carbs.
This recipe has a few steps, but the time taken is well worth it when you see what a beautiful dish you'll create.
INGREDIENTS IN KETO EGGPLANT PARMESAN
Eggplant- You'll need one large eggplant for this recipe, cut into ½ inch thick rounds.
Almond Flour- We'll use almond flour for breading the eggplant instead of traditional wheat flour. Choose a fine milled almond flour for best results.
Eggs - Eggs help the breading stick to the eggplant.
Water - We use water to thin down the egg mixture a bit.
Pork Rinds - Crushed pork rinds give the crunch to the eggplant breading, a replacement for the traditional breadcrumbs.
Parmesan Cheese - Grated parmesan is added to the pork rinds to create that crispy and delicious coating, and also added to the top of the casserole.
Italian Seasoning - Gives flavor to the pork rind mixture.
Kosher Salt - We'll use kosher salt to pull excess moisture from the eggplant.
Marinara Sauce - Choose your favorite low-carb sauce. I like Rao's marinara sauce, or try my Keto Pizza Sauce.
Mozzarella Cheese- shredded mozzarella cheese goes in between layers of breaded eggplant inside of this dish to make it nice and cheesy.
Fresh Basil Leaves - For garnishing your plates.
If you have any questions about this keto eggplant parmesan recipe, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE KETO EGGPLANT PARMESAN
To make a classic eggplant parmesan low carb, follow these simple steps. In short, we will bread and bake eggplant slices using keto friendly ingredients. Then layer the crispy eggplant slices with cheese and sauce, and bake until hot and bubbly. This is going to be so good!
Start by salting your eggplant slices. To do this, place them on a wire rack that is on top of a sheet pan. Sprinkle liberally with coarse salt, and allow to sit for 35-45 minutes. Blot with paper towels to remove excess water and salt.
- Set up your dredging station. Line up three shallow bowls. Add almond flour to one shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and water together in a second bowl. In the third bowl, whisk together the crushed pork rinds, Parmesan, Italian seasoning, and a pinch of salt.
- Dip the eggplant rounds into the Almond Flour.
- Dip the floured eggplant into the Egg.
- Dredge through the seasoned pork rinds.
- Bake the Eggplant. Set the rounds on a baking sheet lined with oil-sprayed parchment paper. Spritz tops of eggplant with olive oil. Bake as directed.
- To assemble, spread sauce on the bottom of a baking dish, then add a layer of baked eggplant.
- Top with more sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients, topping with sauce and parmesan cheese.
- Bake the Casserole as directed in the recipe card below, until hot and bubbly.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
DO I NEED TO SALT EGGPLANT SLICES FOR EGGPLANT PARMESAN?
The recipe below explains how I salt the eggplant slices before baking them. This step takes time but is very important for getting eggplant with great texture.
Salting the eggplant, or sweating eggplant, helps to remove moisture from the vegetable, allowing it to crisp up without getting wet and soggy.
WHAT TYPE OF MARINARA SAUCE IS KETO?
Keto marinara sauce is fairly easy to find in the grocery store. You should look for a tomato sauce that has low amounts of sugar, and no added sugar. Tomato sauce and other tomato products will have some sugar naturally, but there shouldn't be any extra sugar added.
You can also use homemade marinara sauce for this recipe.
CAN I MAKE EGGPLANT PARMESAN WITHOUT BREADING?
You can make eggplant parmesan without breading, although the breading is quite delicious. Roast the eggplant with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper instead of breading it if you would like to shave off some carbs from the recipe.
CAN I MAKE THIS RECIPE VEGETARIAN?
Keto Eggplant Parmesan can be an excellent low carb vegetarian meal, except this recipe has pork rinds in it. Pork rinds are a great way to make things crispy, but they aren't a good option for a vegetarian.
To get the same crunch, try using crushed cheese snacks like Whisps in place of the pork rinds. You can also just skip the pork rinds and bread the eggplant with almond flour and parmesan cheese instead.
HOW TO KEEP KETO EGGPLANT PARMESAN CRISPY?
Did you eggplant parmesan not turn out the way you expected? Often in restaurants you will get a type of eggplant parmesan where the eggplant slices are fried and then topped with sauce and cheese, rather than a homestyle casserole version like this one.
You can replicate a restaurant style eggplant parmesan by using this keto recipe. Skip layering the eggplant in the casserole dish, and instead make stacks of eggplant slices on a sheet pan. Top with sauce and mozzarella cheese and place under the broiler to melt.
CAN I FRY THE EGGPLANT?
You can fry the eggplant rounds if you like! I prefer to bake them as it's easier to clean up, but you can shallow fry them in a skillet for even crispier texture.
HOW TO STORE KETO EGGPLANT PARMESAN
Leftovers of this recipe can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat single portions in the microwave, or in the oven just until warmed through.
You can freeze single servings of eggplant parmesan, well-sealed, for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw before re-heating. Freezing will change the texture of this dish, but the flavors will still be amazing!
HOW TO CHOOSE A GOOD EGGPLANT
When shopping for an eggplant for this recipe, you'll want to look for a large-sized one, about 12 inches long. You can also use two smaller eggplants if that's what you have available.
A fresh eggplant should have a shiny purple outer skin without any blemishes or wrinkles.
When you pick up an eggplant, it should feel heavy for its size. if it feels light, it isn't a good eggplant.
I like to make low-carb eggplant recipes in the summertime, as I can get super fresh and amazing local eggplants from my nearby farmer's market.
Here's another low carb eggplant idea: Try making a cheesy pull-apart eggplant appetizer!
CAN I HAVE PASTA ON KETO?
Do you want to have pasta with your keto eggplant parmesan? If you're used to enjoying eggplant parm this way, you might be looking for a keto pasta substitute.
In general, traditional wheat or grain pasta has way too many carbs to be keto approved. Low carb pasta substitute options include spaghetti squash, zoodles, or shirataki noodles.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH LOW CARB EGGPLANT PARMESAN
This Keto Eggplant Parmesan is a delicious, filling meal all on its own, however, there are some keto side dishes that would elevate it to epic comfort food status.
A Side Salad: Serve Keto Eggplant Parmesan with a simple green salad or a nice Caesar salad.
Keto Pasta: Spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles can be an excellent substitute for pasta if you're looking for that.
Make Meatballs: Low Carb Keto Meatballs would add a lot of extra protein. Serve them on the side, or add cooked, sliced meatballs right into the eggplant casserole.
KETO DESSERTS TO ENJOY WITH EGGPLANT PARMESAN
This type of homemade meal calls for a classic dessert, especially if you're cooking for guests or having a celebration. Try one of these sweet low-carb treats.
- Keto Cheesecake tastes exactly like a cheesecake should taste, and with way less carbs than a traditional cheesecake.
- A Keto Chocolate Cake will bring everyone to the table to celebrate.
- This Low Carb Blueberry Dump Cake is so simple to make, rustic and delicious.
Our Favorite Kitchen Tools:
What's your favorite kitchen tool? Leave a comment below letting us know.
We hope you love this recipe as much as we did! Please help us out by leaving a quick review and star ★ rating below.
LET'S GET SOCIAL, you can follow Four Score Living on Pinterest. You can also leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Did you make this Keto Eggplant Parmesan? Please leave a comment below letting me know what you thought.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into ½" thick rounds
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 ¼ cups crushed pork rinds
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Pinch kosher salt, plus more for eggplant
- 3 cups low carb marinara sauce (Rao’s or my pizza sauce)
- 2 cups whole milk mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Salt the top side of your eggplant slices and place them on a wire rack on a baking sheet. Let sit for 45-60 minutes. Blot with paper towels to remove excess salt and water.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- Line up three shallow bowls. Add almond flour to one shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and water together in a second bowl. In the third bowl, whisk together the crushed pork rinds, Parmesan, Italian seasoning, and a pinch of salt.
- Dip the eggplant rounds in the almond flour, then in the egg, letting any excess drip off.
- Dredge through the seasoned pork rinds. Set the rounds on a baking sheet lined with oil-sprayed parchment paper. Spritz tops of eggplant with olive oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown.
- To assemble, spread a ¼ cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish, then add a layer of baked eggplant. Spread with ¾-1 cup sauce, and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, topping with sauce and Parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then turn the broiler on high and cook for another 3 minutes, until the cheese is browned and bubbling. Serve garnished with more basil.
- Don't skip the first step of salting the eggplant. Give yourself extra time to allow the eggplant to sweat.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- When buying keto marinara sauce, look for brands without any added sugar.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 511Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 1357mgCarbohydrates: 20gNet Carbohydrates: 10gFiber: 10gSugar: 10gProtein: 29g
The nutrition information for this recipe is an approximate total per serving. Please double check the nutrition information for your exact ingredients and brands.