Baked or fried, these keto mozzarella sticks will satisfy your craving for a crunchy, cheesy snack.
There are only six ingredients in this keto cheese sticks recipe.
If you're looking for another appetizer idea that includes loads of cheese, try this Keto Pizza Recipe.
KETO MOZZARELLA STICKS RECIPE
If you're looking to make gluten free mozzarella sticks or keto mozzarella sticks, you've found the perfect recipe.
These mozzarella sticks use crushed pork rinds to create a crispy, crunchy coating for cheese sticks that is low carb, gluten free, and delicious.
Serve these with Keto Pizza Sauce for an impressive game day snack that everyone will enjoy.
INGREDIENTS IN KETO CHEESE STICKS
Mozzarella String Cheese - You'll need 8 of them, cut in half.
Egg - Beaten eggs helps your seasonings and crunch stick to the cheese.
Crushed Pork Rinds - These are used often in Keto recipes in place of breadcrumbs.
Parmesan Cheese - Adds depth and flavor to the breading.
Italian Seasoning - Typically a blend of herbs, the flavor here will remind you of your favorite Italian restaurant.
Garlic Powder - Garlic makes everything taste better.
Low Carb Marinara Sauce - You will want to dip these mozzarella sticks in sauce for the best experience.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE KETO MOZZARELLA STICKS
- Place egg in a shallow bowl and beat well. In another shallow bowl, mix pork rinds, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Whisk to combine.
- Dip in each piece of mozzarella in the egg.
- Then dip each piece in the pork rind mixture.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and freeze as directed until ready to fry or bake.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
WAYS TO COOK KETO MOZZARELLA STICKS
In this recipe I give you instructions for either frying these in a shallow pan, or baking them in the oven. Each method has its pros and cons.
If you choose to fry your Keto cheese sticks, you'll find that they get crunchier due to the added oil. This is certainly delicious, but can be a mess to clean up.
Baking your mozzarella sticks will give you a final product that is less crunchy, but still delicious since the parmesan and seasoning come through more. Cleaning up after this method is much easier.
DO I NEED TO FREEZE KETO CHEESE STICKS?
The most important part of this recipe is the step that tells you to freeze them for at least an hour before cooking.
If you were to skip the freezing step, the cheese would melt before the breading cooks, leaving you with puddles of cheese instead of crispy finger food.
If you'd like to make these ahead of time, you can do the initial 1 hour freeze, and then transfer the keto mozzarella sticks to an air-tight bag or container. Freeze for up to three months and then cook from frozen.
TIPS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE MOZZARELLA STICKS
Make sure your coating is fairly thick on each piece of cheese. This will keep the cheese from oozing out. Don't skip coating the ends of the cheese either.
Coat one piece of cheese at a time, and avoid handling them more than you need to. Dip into the egg, then the crumbs, then onto the tray.
Be careful when frying with hot oil. I'd hate for you to get hurt. Use a sturdy pair of tongs to carefully move your pieces in and out of the pan.
OTHER YUMMY KETO GAME DAY SNACKS
Serve Keto Chicken Wings as an either an appetizer or main dish at your next game day party.
These Keto Stuffed Mushrooms are simple to make and a reader favorite.
Did you make these Keto Mozzarella Sticks? Please leave a comment below letting me know what you thought.
- 8 sticks mozzarella string cheese, cut in half
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup crushed pork rinds
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- If frying: high temperature oil
- Low carb marinara sauce, for dipping
- If baking, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place egg in a shallow bowl and beat well. In another shallow bowl, mix pork rinds, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder; whisk to combine.
- Dip each piece of mozzarella in the egg, then roll in the pork rind mixture. Place on prepared baking sheet and freeze, uncovered, for at least one hour or until ready to fry or bake.
- To bake: Bake for 10-12 minutes, flipping once halfway through, or until golden brown.
- Frying instructions: Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, fry keto mozzarella sticks in a single layer, 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown and softened.
- Serve with marinara sauce.
- Freezing these mozzarella sticks before cooking is very important. Give them at least 1 hour in the freezer before cooking.
- Frying makes for crunchier cheese sticks, but baking gives better flavor and easier clean up.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 185mgCarbohydrates: 1gNet Carbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
The nutrition information for this recipe is an approximate total per serving. Please double check the nutrition information for your exact ingredients and brands.