Make perfectly cooked Instant Pot Artichokes in just 20 minutes! This method for cooking globe artichokes in an instant pot is super simple, and the resulting appetizer is a total treat.
Steamed artichokes, made in the instant pot are a delicious, finger-food appetizer that is vegan, nutritious, and keto-friendly! A plate of these, some melted butter, and some Cheese Chips make the perfect shareable snack.
Fresh artichokes are primarily in season and available in the spring and summer, but you can usually find these in grocery stores year-round. Fun fact: California produces almost 100% of the supply of artichokes in the US!
INSTANT POT ARTICHOKES RECIPE
If you've avoided cooking artichokes because it seemed complicated, you'll love how simple the instant pot makes it!
You might find yourself wanting to make this instant pot appetizer recipe often, and that's amazing, because artichokes are naturally gluten free, low carb, keto-friendly, and packed with fiber and nutrients such as vitamins C and K, potassium, and magnesium.
These tasty leaves are infused with the flavors of lemon, garlic, and fresh herbs. These aromatics create a flavorful steam, and the instant pot makes sure that the flavor is cooked into the artichokes.
ARE ARTICHOKES KETO FRIENDLY?
You can absolutely enjoy these instant pot artichokes on keto, as they are low in carbs. They are not the lowest carb vegetable (broccoli and zucchini are better options if you need a veggie that is very low in carbs), but they are also very high in fiber.
One medium artichoke has about 14 grams of carbs, but it also has around 7 grams of fiber, bringing the net carb count of an artichoke to just 7 grams.
INGREDIENTS FOR INSTANT POT ARTICHOKES
Artichokes - This recipe is for cooking three medium-sized artichokes, which should fit perfectly in the pot of your instant pot. I'll explain exactly how to trim the artichokes below.
Lemon - Cut the lemon into wedges. Adding fresh lemon juice to the artichokes keeps the leaves from turning brown.
Water - The instant pot won't work without water in it, plus that water is what steams the artichokes.
Garlic - This is for savory flavor. Smash the cloves before tossing them in.
Salt - A simple sprinkle of kosher salt ensures that your appetizer is perfectly seasoned.
Herbs - Fresh herbs cook along with the artichokes in the instant pot and add a subtle, earthy flavor. You can use rosemary, thyme, or oregano. Leave the herbs on the stems so that they can be easily removed later.
If you have any questions about making artichokes in the instant pot, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT ARTICHOKES
Half of the recipe for making artichokes in the instant pot is prepping them. Well-prepared and trimmed artichokes are the key to making this delicious appetizer.
- Remove the small outer leaves of the artichoke. Using a very sharp knife, cut off all but ¼ inch of the stem.
- Cut the top third off of the artichoke to expose the inside. You'll remove approximately 1 inch off the top.
- Rinse the artichokes well and pat them dry. Then squeeze a lemon wedge on the cut surface of each of them to prevent browning. Toss the lemon wedges into the instant pot.
- Add water, garlic, salt, and herbs to the inner pot of the Instant Pot, then place the trivet/rack into the pot.
- Place the artichokes on the trivet, cut side down. Close and seal the lid and cook on Manual High as directed in the recipe below.
- When the timer is up, perform a quick release of the steam, remove the lid, and test the artichokes for doneness by sliding a paring knife into the bottom. If it slides in easily, they are ready to enjoy!
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions on how to make instant pot artichokes, please see the recipe below.
TIPS FOR MAKING ARTICHOKES
Trim off any pointy leaves - Sometimes the outer leaves will have long, sharp thorns. Use scissors to cut these off before cooking to avoid injury!
Use a sharp knife - Artichokes can be tough to cut through! A sharp chef's knife or a serrated knife will help you to cut the tops and stem off safely.
Don't eat the "choke" - The furry/feathery textured part in the center of each artichoke is inedible, and can be a choking hazard due to that texture. You can cook the artichoke whole, but when eating it, discard the choke or eat around it.
Adjust the Flavors - You can add sliced onions, more garlic, or your favorite herbs and spices to the pot to give your instant pot artichokes a flavor that is perfect for your taste buds!
INSTANT POT ARTICHOKES COOKING TIME
The amount of time that you need to cook artichokes in the Instant pot can vary based on the size of your artichokes. The cook time for instant pot artichokes will range from 5 minutes for baby artichokes to 25 minutes for large or jumbo artichokes.
Medium Artichokes are about the size of a baseball and will cook in 20 minutes in the instant pot.
Large Artichokes are the size of a softball. You should cook large artichokes for 25 minutes. You may also need 25 minutes if your artichokes' leaves are very tightly packed.
Small and Baby sized artichokes range from 5 to 9 inches in diameter. I don't recommend cooking this size in the Instant Pot. You can cook them, probably for 10-15 minutes, but their small size isn't ideal for steaming and eating in this way.
When planning to cook with the instant pot, don't forget to account for the amount of time that it will take the Instant Pot to pressurize. This will vary on several factors but could be up to 20 additional minutes.
HOW TO CHOOSE FRESH ARTICHOKES
Buy them In Season: The season for Artichokes in the U.S. starts in March. There are two harvests, one between March and June and another between September and October. While you can get artichokes outside of these times, they are fresher and tastier during peak seasons.
Look for Tight Leaves: If the artichoke leaves seem loose and the center is opened, that means that the artichoke is not the freshest. The artichoke should also feel heavy for its size.
Discoloration is normal: The leaves may look brown or purplish, and this is totally fine. However, if the leaves are shriveled or showing signs of decay, you should not buy that artichoke.
HOW TO EAT WHOLE ARTICHOKES
This is the fun part! Cooked whole artichokes are meant to be eaten with your hands.
To eat, pull off the outer leaves one at a time. Dip the base of the leaf into butter or your dipping sauce of choice. Use your teeth to scrape the soft part of the artichoke into your mouth. Discard the rest of each leaf.
You can eat the center, or the heart, of the artichoke as well. Use a spoon to remove the fuzzy choke and discard it. Then cut the heart into small pieces, dip into sauce, and enjoy!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH INSTANT POT ARTICHOKES
Steamed Instant Pot Artichokes are best eaten right away, with a delicious dipping sauce. Melted butter is my favorite, but you can also use mayonnaise, ranch dressing, Olive oil, or your favorite aioli. Feel free to season your butter or mayo with more of the same herbs that you used to cook the artichokes.
Make a Keto Charcuterie Board - Your instant pot artichokes can be the centerpiece of a gorgeous meat and cheese board.
HOW TO REHEAT ARTICHOKES
If you have leftovers, simply store them in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days until you're ready to eat them. You can reheat artichokes in the oven or the microwave.
In the oven, brush the tops of the artichokes with olive oil, then wrap each one separately in foil. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
In the microwave, reheat at 20-second intervals until heated through. To keep the leaves juicy, spray the artichokes with a bit of water or brush with oil before microwaving.
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES TO ENJOY
Try more of our healthy instant pot recipes!
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken is an easy meal or a great way to make shredded chicken to add to other recipes.
- Make a delicious Pot Roast in the Instant pot that the whole family will love.
- Salmon is super easy to make in the Instant Pot too!
Did you make this Instant Pot Artichokes Recipe? Please leave a comment below letting me know what you thought!
- 3 medium artichokes
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-2 sprigs fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano)
- Remove the small outer leaves of the artichoke. Using a very sharp knife, cut off all but ¼-inch of the stem.
- Cut the top third (~1 inch) off of the artichoke to expose the inside.
- Rinse the artichokes well and pat them dry, then squeeze a lemon wedge on the cut surface of each of them to prevent them from browning.
- Add the lemon wedges, water, garlic, salt, and herbs to the inner pot of the Instant Pot, then place the trivet/rack into the pot.
- Place the artichokes on the trivet, cut side down. Close and seal the lid and cook on Manual High for approximately 20 minutes. If the artichokes are on the small side, reduce the time to 10 minutes. If they are on the large side, increase the time to 25 minutes.
- Perform a Quick Release of the steam, remove the lid, and test the artichokes for doneness by sliding a paring knife into the bottom. If it slides in easily, they’re ready to enjoy!
- Serve with melted butter, mayonnaise, ranch dressing, or your favorite aioli.
- Any fresh herbs can be added to the pot to enhance the flavor of the artichokes. Choose one of the ones listed or a combination of two of them.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 81Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 498mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 8gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
The nutrition information for this recipe is an approximate total per serving. Please double check the nutrition information for your exact ingredients and brands.