Are you wondering how you'll ever go without lasagna now that you are watching your carbs? Is there such a thing as Keto Lasagna?
There certainly is! Sliced zucchini stands in for pasta in this amazing recipe for Keto Lasagna that has all of the flavor and cheese that you love in an Italian comfort food dish.
Our Keto Chicken Parmesan is also a great option.
KETO LASAGNA RECIPE
Thinly sliced zucchini is your secret weapon when it comes to building a low carb lasagna that everyone will love.
Veggies that can mimic the texture of pasta are key to turning old-school Italian favorites into keto-friendly dishes, and zucchini is one of the best.
This Keto Lasagna recipe has a flavorful sauce made with ground beef, ricotta garlic, onions, and marinara sauce.
Of course, it also has a creamy and delicious ricotta and parmesan cheese filling.
This is exactly what you need to make the perfect keto lasagna. Let's get cooking!
INGREDIENTS IN KETO LASAGNA
Zucchini - I used three medium-sized zucchinis for this recipe. It's best to slice them with a mandolin so that they are very thin and even. These slices make our keto lasagna "noodles".
Ground Beef - A hearty meat sauce starts with beef. You could also consider using half Italian sausage and half ground beef to add more flavor.
Onion and Garlic - Sauteed and added to the sauce, these aromatic veggies give the dish depth.
Keto Marinara Sauce - Pick up your favorite keto-friendly sauce at the store. Be sure to check for added sugars - many pasta sauces are not keto-friendly. You can also make your own Keto Tomato Sauce.
Herbs - Dried basil and oregano flavor the sauce, while dried parsley adds brightness to the ricotta cheese filling.
Seasoning - Simple salt and pepper ensure that your sauce is perfect.
Ricotta Cheese - Choose whole milk ricotta to keep this recipe low carb.
Parmesan - Grated parmesan cheese is classic and flavorful.
Mozzarella - This melty cheese creates the most amazing top layer to this casserole.
Egg - a whole egg is mixed with ricotta to add stability to the lasagna. This is what keeps the cheese from running out of the lasagna after you slice it.
If you have any questions about making Keto Lasagna, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE KETO LASAGNA
Start by preheating the oven to 375°F and spraying a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Use a mandolin to carefully slice the zucchini into ⅛-inch thick slices. Lay the slices onto a flat kitchen surface and sprinkle them salt to draw out some of the moisture. Wait 15 minutes, then pat the zucchini dry with a towel.
- Make the sauce. Brown the beef, onion, and garlic in a large saucepan breaking the meat apart as it cooks, cooking until fully browned and cooked through.
- Add the marinara sauce, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper and stir until combined. Bring the sauce to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Make the filling. Combine the whisked egg, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and dried parsley.
- Layer the lasagna. Spread a little sauce on the bottom of the baking dish first.
- Add a layer of zucchini noodles over the sauce
- Spread ⅓ of the ricotta mixture over the zucchini, followed by ⅓ of the meat sauce. Sprinkle with a half cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat the layers (zucchini, ricotta, sauce, mozzarella) two more times.
Finish the lasagna by baking it in the oven as directed in the recipe card below.
For the full list of ingredients and instructions for making this Keto Lasagna, please see the recipe below.
ARE ZUCCHINI NOODLES KETO?
Zucchini sliced into thin sheets is the perfect keto replacement for lasagna noodles. Spiralized zucchini also makes an excellent keto pasta substitute.
WHAT ELSE CAN I USE INSTEAD OF LASAGNA NOODLES?
Low carb recipe creators are some of the most creative people out there! There are keto lasagna recipes that use deli turkey instead of noodles, and some recipes that use a homemade low carb cheese noodle to do the job instead.
There are also products available, such as hearts of palm lasagna noodles and cauliflower lasagna noodles.
We like this keto lasagna with zucchini noodles the best because it's easy to make, doesn't require any special ingredients, and the zucchini adds great flavor and nutrition to the dish too.
IS ZUCCHINI THE SAME AS COURGETTE?
Yes it is! Courgette is the word used in the UK to describe what folks in the US call zucchini.
HOW CAN I KEEP ZUCCHINI LASAGNA FROM BEING WATERY?
Zucchini is delicious as a stand in for lasagna noodles, but it does have one very serious flaw: Zucchini is a very watery vegetable!
If not treated properly, you could end up with a watery, soupy mess. The mess will be tasty, but not very easy to eat with a fork.
My best tip for zucchini lasagna is that you NEED to salt the sliced zucchini and dry it off before layering the dish.
Be sure to generously salt the zucchini slices and let them sit like that for at least 15 minutes. At that point you can take a kitchen towel or paper towels and soak up any liquid that the salt pulled out of the zucchini.
While tomato sauce will have some natural sugar because it's made with tomatoes, it shouldn't have any added sugars.
Rao's Marinara sauce is a popular choice among low-carb cooks. It has 5 net carbs per serving.
You can be extra sure that your marinara sauce is keto friendly by making it yourself!
MORE DELICIOUS KETO CASSEROLES
Using smart low-carb substitutions makes cooking all sorts of keto-friendly casseroles a breeze! Try these:
Did you make this Keto Lasagna Recipe? Please leave a comment below, letting us know what you thought.
We hope you love this recipe as much as we did! Please help us out by leaving a quick review and star ★ rating below.
LET'S GET SOCIAL, you can follow Four Score Living on Pinterest. You can also leave a comment below if you have any questions.
- 3 medium zucchinis
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 oz keto marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 ½ cups shredded Mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan with oil; set aside.
- Use a mandoline to carefully slice the zucchini into ⅛-inch thick slices. Lay onto a flat kitchen surface and sprinkle with salt, to draw out extra moisture. After 15 minutes, pat dry with a towel.
- For the sauce: In a large saucepan cook beef, onion, and garlic until the meat is brown. Break the meat apart as it cooks.
- Add the marinara sauce, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper and stir until combined.
- Bring the sauce to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For the ricotta filling: combine the whisked egg, ricotta, Parmesan cheese, and dried parsley.
- To layer the keto lasagna: Spread a little sauce on the bottom of the pan. Add a layer of zucchini noodles over the sauce. Spread ⅓ of the ricotta mixture over the zucchini. Then spread ⅓ of the sauce mixture over the zucchini. Sprinkle with ½ cup of mozzarella. Repeat the layers two more times starting with zucchini, following with ricotta, sauce, and mozzarella.
- Cover the lasagna pan with foil, place it on a baking sheet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until heated through. Remove the foil, then bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- It's important to let the lasagna rest before slicing it. The cheese mixture needs to cool a bit so that your slices stay together.
- The nutrition facts here are a guide. Your lasagna may have more or less net carbs per serving, depending on the ingredients that you use.
- To avoid unnecessary carbs in shredded cheese, buy a block of cheese and shred it yourself rather than using bagged cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 746mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 23g
The nutrition information for this recipe is an approximate total per serving. Please double check the nutrition information for your exact ingredients and brands.