If you love ordering Chicken Parm at your favorite Italian restaurant, you'll love this easy recipe for Keto Chicken Parmesan.
Tender chicken cutlets are breaded with keto crumbs and pan-fried before being baked to perfection, topped with plenty of mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce.
Enjoy Keto Chicken Parmesan with zucchini noodles to create an amazing low-carb Italian meal.
KETO CHICKEN PARMESAN RECIPE
Italian food is something that I've always loved. Rich sauces, tasty pasta, and crispy breaded chicken cutlets topped with melty mozzarella are irresistible, and some of the best comfort foods around.
While pasta can be tricky on keto, Chicken Parmesan is super easy to transform into this low-carb variation that tastes just as good as the original.
This Keto Chicken parmesan is baked in the oven after being fried, coated with a delicious crust made of crispy crushed pork rinds and parmesan cheese.
Be sure to top your Keto Italian chicken with our amazing homemade Keto Marinara Sauce!
For a comfort food meal with a Southern twist, check out our Keto Chicken Fried Steak recipe next.
INGREDIENTS IN KETO CHICKEN PARMESAN
Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts - This recipe creates four servings from two large chicken breasts. Slice each of them in half to create thin cutlets, and pound them if needed to be sure that they are all an even thickness.
Salt and Pepper - Season the chicken with these basics before breading it.
Almond Flour - To get a really nice crust on the chicken parmesan cutlets, we'll use a three-part breading station. Almond flour is step 1.
Eggs and Heavy Cream - Create a thick mixture to act as the second part of the chicken breading. Eggs and cream will help all of your keto crumbs to stick to the chicken.
Crushed Pork Rinds - This is the secret to making the crispiest, crunchiest keto breading for all types of foods! I like to add pork rinds to a ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin or a heavy tool.
Grated Parmesan cheese - This adds flavor to the chicken parm breading.
Seasonings - To get the flavor of Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, we'll add dried oregano, garlic powder, and onion powder to the mix.
Avocado Oil - For frying the chicken cutlets. You can also use your favorite mild, high-smoke point oil, such as canola or peanut oil for this.
Keto Marinara Sauce - Make your own - it's great to have on hand for pizzas and zoodles - or use your favorite low-carb store-bought sauce.
Mozzarella Cheese - Shredded mozzarella is the final touch and a must for chicken parmesan. Shred your own cheese if you can - the bagged versions can have fillers that add carbs to the dish.
Fresh Basil - Add this flavorful garnish before serving your Italian feast.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE KETO CHICKEN PARMESAN
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray, and set it aside.
- Prep the chicken by slicing the breasts in half to create cutlets. Season the chicken cutlets on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Get three shallow bowls to make a breading station. In one bowl, whisk together the eggs and cream. In another shallow bowl, place the almond flour. In a third bowl, combine the pork rinds, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano.
- Dip each chicken piece into the almond flour, then the egg mixture, and then the pork rind crumbs, pressing to get the crumbs to stick and coat the chicken.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, heat the avocado oil. Working in batches, add the chicken pieces to the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through (the chicken should reach an internal temperature of 160°F)
- Transfer the fried chicken cutlets to the prepared baking dish in a single layer. Evenly spread the marinara sauce over each cutlet, then top with mozzarella cheese. Bake as directed in the recipe until the cheese is melted. You can also broil the chicken for a few minutes to brown the cheese if you like.
- Serve over zucchini noodles if you like, and garnish with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
For the complete list of ingredients and instructions for making Keto Chicken Parmesan, please see the recipe below.
IS MARINARA SAUCE KETO?
Most store-bought marina sauces will have added sugar in them. If you're shopping, be sure to check the labels for added ingredients.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CHICKEN CUTLETS?
I often see pre-sliced chicken cutlets in the grocery store, but they are a bit overpriced when you consider how easy it is to slice them yourself.
To slice a chicken breast into two cutlets, hold the breast down flat on a cutting board with one hand. With your other hand, cut the chicken in half, holding the knife horizontally, and slicing in between your hand and the cutting board.
You should end up with two flat pieces of chicken! If needed, pound them out so that they are even in thickness.
CAN I MAKE KETO CHICKEN PARMESAN WITH CHICKEN TENDERS?
Yes, you can make this recipe with any type of boneless chicken, including chicken tenders or boneless chicken thighs. The time needed to fry the chicken will vary based on the thickness of the chicken pieces.
DO I NEED TO USE PORK RINDS TO MAKE KETO FRIED CHICKEN PARM?
If you'd rather not use pork rinds in this recipe, you can replace them with the same amount of almond flour instead. The resulting fried cutlets won't be quite as crispy, but they will still be low carb and tasty!
CAN I BAKE THIS INSTEAD OF FRYING IT?
Frying the keto breaded chicken parmesan in oil is really the best way to get it crispy. While I'm sure you can cook this in the oven, I don't recommend it!
Did you make this Keto Chicken Parmesan Recipe? Please leave a comment below letting me know what you thought.
We hope you enjoyed reading this article. Please help us out by leaving a quick review and star ★ rating below.
LET'S GET SOCIAL, you can follow Four Score Living on Pinterest. You can also leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Keto Chicken Parmesan
Keto Chicken Parmesan is tender chicken cutlets, breaded with keto crumbs and pan-fried before being baked to perfection with mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups crushed pork rinds
- ½ cup shredded or grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2T avocado oil
- ¾ cup keto marinara sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella
- Fresh basil, for topping
- Zucchini noodles, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, cut chicken breasts in half horizontally. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs with the cream. In a second bowl, place almond flour. In a third bowl, combine pork rinds, Parmesan, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano.
- Dip a chicken piece into the almond flour, then the eggs, and then the pork rind mixture, pressing to coat. Place the chicken on a plate and repeat with the remaining pieces.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, heat avocado oil. Working in batches, add the chicken pieces and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden and cooked through.
- Transfer the fried cutlets to the prepared baking dish. Evenly spread the marinara sauce on each cutlet, then top with mozzarella. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. If desired, broil for 1-3 minutes until the cheese is golden brown.
- Serve over zucchini noodles, garnished with basil and more Parmesan.
- You can use chicken tenders or boneless chicken thighs to make this recipe if you prefer.
- Ensure that your chicken cutlets are fully cooked using a thermometer to check that they are at least 160°F in the middle.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the oven or air fryer for best results.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 645Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 209mgSodium: 1119mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 49g
The nutrition information for this recipe is an approximate total per serving. Please double check the nutrition information for your exact ingredients and brands.
Leave a Question or Comment