If you're on the hunt for a comforting low carb dinner idea, look no further than this Keto Fried Chicken Steak.
Coated in a crispy Parmesan and pork rind crust and smothered in sausage gravy, you won't believe how filling and delectable this chicken fried steak is.
A glass of Keto Lemonade would be the perfect accompaniment for this fried cube steak.
Keto Chicken Fried Steak
This chicken fried steak recipe is quick and so flavorful. It starts with cube steak dredged in a savory coating and fried on the stove.
The low carb sausage gravy is optional, but really brings the dish together. You could also use this Five Minute Keto Gravy if you prefer.
In just 15 minutes you'll have a restaurant style chicken fried steak ready to satisfy keto and non-keto eaters alike.
Why do they call it Chicken Fried Steak?
Contrary to its name, this dish is actually make with beef and not chicken cutlets. The name "chicken fried" comes from the way the steak is prepared, with an egg wash and crunchy fried coating.
You can also use any thin cut of steak in place of cube steak if you like. Be sure to tenderize the steak using a meat tenderizer first to achieve that classic chicken fried steak texture.
How to Make Keto Chicken Fried Steak
- Salt and pepper both sides of your cube steak.
- Combine crushed pork rinds, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika in a shallow dish.
- Dip the cube steak in an egg wash and turn to coat both sides with the egg.
- Lay the egg coated steak in the crunchy crust coating.
- Flip the steak to coat both sides with the crust.
- Gently place the coated steak into a skillet of hot oil and fry on both sides until golden brown and cooked through.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions please see the recipe below.
Note: Usually cube steak is sold in large pieces. To get four servings of chicken fried steak, I recommend cutting them in half before preparing.
Doing this will also make it easier to flip while cooking and will ensure that the beef cooks evenly.
Other Options for Chicken Fried Steak Coating
If you don't have pork rinds, you can also use almond meal or crushed low carb crackers. Keep in mind, however, that the coating may not have quite the same crunchy texture as fried pork rinds.
Can I make this chicken fried steak egg free?
If you need an egg free option for your keto steak, you can use heavy cream in place of the egg wash.
Simply dip the beef in the heavy cream and then coat with the breading and cook according to the recipe instructions.
Can I use chicken to make keto chicken fried steak?
While the name can be deceiving, chicken fried steak is not make with chicken, but yes, you can use chicken in this recipe.
We recommend slicing the chicken into thinner "steaks" or pounding them flat with a meat pounder, before frying them.
How to Make Keto Sausage Gravy
- Add crumbled sausage to a large frying pan and cook until browned, breaking up the pieces to ensure that the sausage is cooked thoroughly.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and set it aside on a plate to drain.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan and cook in the fat from the sausage until softened and translucent.
- Add heavy cream, salt, and pepper, and bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and let the gravy simmer for a minute.
- Add the cooked sausage back to the pan and cook for another minute, stirring to combine.
- Spoon your keto sausage gravy over your cooked chicken fried steak and serve.
If you're looking for more dinner ideas, try this Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole next.
Storing Keto Chicken Fried Steak
If you have leftover keto chicken fried steak, it's best to store the chicken fried steak and gravy separate, so they don't get soggy. While they will loose some of their crunch in the fridge, leaving the gravy off will help.
Store both the keto chicken fried steak and gravy in the fridge, in sealed containers, for up to 3 days.
When you're ready to enjoy your leftovers, simply reheat them separately and enjoy.
What to serve with Keto Chicken Fried Steak
Keto Brussel Sprouts - We love brussel sprouts, and we love serving them with high protein meals even more. These parmesan roasted brussels are perfect with keto chicken fried steak and the sausage gravy is excellent with the brussels.
Keto Broccoli Salad - This broccoli salad is super simple to make and it's incredibly delicious with low carb chicken fried steak. Together they make a wonderfully balanced meal with lots of healthy fats and protein, while keeping the carb low and higher in fiber.
Keto Cornbread - If you serve this keto chicken friend steak with a keto vegetables, you might also want to add in some "cornbread". While this recipe doesn't actually use corn, the combination of flavors is as close to the real thing as you're going to get.
Gluten Free Cornbread - If you don't need to eat keto, this cornbread is a great option.
Our Favorite Kitchen Tools:
What's your favorite kitchen tool? Leave a comment below letting us know.
LET'S GET SOCIAL, you can follow Four Score Living on Pinterest. You can also leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Did you make this chicken fried steak? I'd love to know what you thought in a comment below.
For the Chicken Fried Steak:
- 1 lb. cube steak, ¼ inch thick
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup crushed pork rinds (or keto crackers, or almond meal)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Cooking oil (we use avocado oil)
For the Keto Sausage Gravy:
- 1 lb ground pork breakfast sausage
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Chicken Fried Steak
- Salt and pepper both sides of the cube steak.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the heavy cream and eggs.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the pork rinds, Parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Heat ½ inch of oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dip the cube steak into the egg wash and flip it to coat both sides.
- Dip the egg coated steak into the crunchy coating and flip to coat.
- Gently lower the coated cube steak into the hot oil. Fry golden brown, then using tongs flip to fry the other side.
- Place cooked keto fried chicken steak on a plate with a paper towel. Repeat with the next piece of steak.
For the Sausage Gravy
- Heat a large frying pan to medium temperature. Add crumbled sausage and cook until the sausage is no longer pink, using a spatula to break up the crumbles.
- Remove the sausage from the pan; set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook until the onion is translucent and soft. Stir often.
- Add the heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Bring the gravy to a boil.
- Once the gravy begins to boil, lower the heat and simmer for one minute.
- Add the sausage back to the pan and continue to cook and stir for one minute.
- Spoon the gravy over the top of the keto chicken fried steak and serve hot.
- Usually cube steak is sold in large pieces. Cut each cube steak in half to make 4 pieces. This will make it easier to flip when frying.
- The keto gravy is optional.
- If you don't have pork rinds, you can use almond meal or crushed keto crackers. Please note the outer coating won't get as crispy.
- Cube steak is a thin cut of steak that's been tenderized. You can use your steak of choice and tenderize it for this keto chicken fried steak recipe.
- Egg free option: If you can't have eggs simply dip your cube steak in heavy cream before dipping it in the crunchy coating.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 665Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 411mgCarbohydrates: 6gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 22g
The nutrition information for this recipe is an approximate total per serving. Please double check the nutrition information for your exact ingredients and brands.