Chicken and Brussel Sprouts, plus a few other simple ingredients, create an easy sheet pan chicken dinner that is delicious and quick.
Chicken thighs are an economical way to feed your family, and they are delicious when marinated and roasted until crispy in this healthy recipe.
Love brussels sprouts? Enjoy them as a healthy side dish any night of the week with our Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe.
CHICKEN AND BRUSSEL SPROUTS RECIPE
We are roasting chicken thighs and brussel sprouts together on a sheet pan, making this an easy one-pan sheet pan meal. Serve this dish as-is for a healthy low-carb meal, or add your favorite side dishes. Each serving of Chicken and Brussel Sprouts has just 4 grams net carbs.
I'm surprised that this is the first chicken thigh recipe I'm sharing here because we actually eat them quite often! Chicken thighs are an inexpensive cut of chicken that has great flavor and lots of skin to get crispy in the oven.
Marinated in garlic, dijon mustard, and lemon, chicken thighs with brussel sprouts will be your family's favorite chicken dinner. You'll love how easy it is to make this recipe too, and the fact that it cooks all together on one pan.
Grab a sheet pan and collect your ingredients. Your sheet pan chicken dinner will be ready soon!
INGREDIENTS IN CHICKEN AND BRUSSEL SPROUTS
Olive Oil: A marinade that starts with olive oil will make these chicken thighs juicy and help them to get crispy. Having oil in the marinade also means that we don't have to grease the baking pan.
Dijon Mustard: I love the flavor of fancy mustard with brussel sprouts. The two just go together.
Lemon Juice: Use juice that is freshly squeezed for the best flavor. Added to our chicken marinade, lemon juice adds flavor and helps to tenderize the meat.
Thyme: Thyme complements all sorts of poultry but especially chicken perfectly. Use fresh thyme if you have it, or substitute with dried thyme.
Salt: We will season the chicken well using a bit of salt.
Black Pepper: Always welcome, black pepper adds warmth and the perfect amount of flavor to our chicken.
Garlic: 3 cloves of fresh garlic, finely minced are needed for this recipe.
Chicken Thighs: I'm using bone-in chicken thighs with the skin on. You can use other cuts of chicken, including boneless thighs, legs, or breasts, but keep in mind that the cooking time will be different.
Brussel Sprouts: Use one pound of brussel sprouts for your sheet pan dinner. Trim them and cut them in half. See my tips below if you need to know more about how to trim brussel sprouts.
Red Onion: Sliced red onion adds lots of flavor and beautiful color to this recipe.
Lemon: Thin lemon slices also roast up beautifully, and complement the lemon in the marinade. You can eat roasted lemon slices! But even if you don't eat them, they look really nice on the plate.
If you have any questions about this chicken and brussel sprouts recipe, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN AND BRUSSEL SPROUTS
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C and mix the marinade. In s small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, fresh thyme, salt, ground black pepper, and minced garlic until combined.
- Add the chicken thighs to a large bowl. Pour ⅔ of the olive oil mixture over the chicken thighs. Toss until the chicken is completely coated.
- Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- Place the brussel sprouts, sliced red onion, and sliced lemon in a medium bowl. Toss with the remaining olive oil mixture until well coated.
- Pour the vegetables out onto a baking sheet. Once the chicken has finished marinating, nestle the chicken thighs into the vegetables.
- Bake as directed in the recipe card below, cooking until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 160°F/74°C. Then turn the oven to broil and broil for 3-5 minutes, or until the chicken is browned. Serve immediately.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions in this sheet pan chicken dinner, please see the recipe below.
TIPS FOR MAKING SHEET PAN CHICKEN AND BRUSSEL SPROUTS
Broiling is optional. I enjoy chicken thighs with crispy skin, so I use the broiler to ensure that browning happens. Be sure to watch the chicken carefully while it's under the broiler so that it doesn't burn.
Use just 1 lemon. If you have a large lemon, use half of it to get the juice for the marinate and slice the other half to include with the vegetables. if your lemons are smaller, you might need to use two.
Use another cut of chicken. If you want to make chicken and brussel sprouts with another type of chicken, like chicken legs or breasts, feel free. Just monitor to ensure that you cook it long enough to get the chicken to the proper temperature.
For extra flavor try adding a pinch of crushed red pepper or chili powder to the marinade. You can make it as spicy as you like!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN AND BRUSSEL SPROUTS
Your favorite side dishes added to this recipe will make a complete and satisfying meal.
A simple green salad is always a good, healthy side dish to serve with chicken too.
HOW LONG TO MARINATE CHICKEN THIGHS
For this recipe, I suggest a marinating time of at least 20 minutes for the chicken thighs. This is enough time for the outer layers of the thighs to soak up the flavors of the marinade.
You can marinate the chicken for up to 24 hours if needed, making this a great make-ahead chicken meal. Any longer than 24 hours will cause the chicken to start changing texture from the acid in the marinade.
I suggest marinating somewhere between 20 minutes and 12 hours for the best results.
HOW TO TRIM BRUSSEL SPROUTS
When you buy brussel sprouts, you need to clean them up a bit to get them ready to cook.
Start by slicing off the end/stem part of each brussel sprout. The ends are usually dry and brown and won't be very tasty. Next, peel off any outer leaves that are tough, thick, or damaged.
For this recipe, cut each sprout in half so that you get lots of surface area exposed for browning. If your sprouts are very large you can cut them in quarters.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER CHICKEN AND BRUSSEL SPROUTS
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat using the microwave or oven until just warmed through.
We like to put leftovers in containers and take them to lunch the next day. This is a great meal prep recipe.
OTHER VEGGIES TO ADD TO THIS RECIPE
Keep this recipe low carb by adding other keto vegetables to the pan. Asparagus, mushrooms, green beans, or radishes are all excellent options.
If you want to add other vegetables to sheet pan chicken and brussel sprouts, reduce the amount of brussel sprouts so that you don't overfill the sheet pan. Too many veggies on the pan will cause them to steam rather than roast.
Or, just use two pans, and fill the second one with all of your extra vegetables. I can never get enough roasted vegetables, so I like this option. Rotate the trays in the oven as needed.
If you aren't a huge fan of brussel sprouts, you can leave them out of this recipe entirely, and replace them with another vegetable that you do like!
CAN I USE WHITE ONION?
I chose to use red onion in this sheet pan chicken dinner recipe because I love the color that it gives. A white or yellow onion will still be delicious though, so use whatever type of onion you have on hand.
IS CHICKEN AND BRUSSEL SPROUTS HEALTHY?
This meal includes high protein chicken and high fiber vegetables to create a low-carb and healthy meal. Sheet pan chicken and brussel sprouts can definitely be a healthy option that fits into your overall diet.
CAN I MAKE SHEET PAN CHICKEN AND BRUSSEL SPROUTS WITH FROZEN CHICKEN?
I suggest thawing the chicken before making this recipe. Frozen chicken will not absorb the marinade, and will take much longer to cook.
MORE CHICKEN DINNER RECIPES TO TRY
More keto dinners:
- Keto Chicken Fajitas
- Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Easy Marry Me Chicken
- Low Carb Chicken Taco Soup
If you love quick and simple dinners, try this Instant Pot Pot Roast next.
Did you make this Chicken and Brussel Sprouts recipe? Please leave a comment below letting me know what you thought.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cloves, minced garlic
- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin on (2.5-3 lbs)
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- ½ lemon, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, dijon mustard, lemon juice, fresh thyme, salt, ground black pepper and minced garlic until combined.
- Add the chicken thighs to a large bowl. Pour ⅔ of the olive oil mixture over the chicken thighs. Toss until the chicken is completely coated. Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- Place the brussels sprouts, sliced red onion and sliced lemon in a medium bowl. Toss with the remaining olive oil mixture until well coated.
- Pour the vegetables out onto a baking sheet.
- Once the chicken has finished marinating, nestle the chicken thighs into the vegetables.
- Bake at 425F for 30-40 minutes, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 166mgSodium: 486mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 32g
The nutrition information for this recipe is an approximate total per serving. Please double check the nutrition information for your exact ingredients and brands.