A piece of classic coffee cake is the perfect accompaniment to your morning cup of coffee. This keto coffee cake recipe is not only decadent, but it’s paleo, gluten-free, and dairy-free too.
You can find all of our low carb dessert recipes in our low carb keto desserts archive.
Keto Coffee Cake Recipe
Is there anything more versatile than a cake that can be served as breakfast, snack, or dessert? The best coffee cakes are light and airy, yet moist, and there’s no reason why a low carb coffee cake should be any different.
This keto coffee cake recipe combines simple ingredients like almond flour, cinnamon, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract to make the cake base. Sugar free maple flavored syrup adds a keto friendly sweetness and a hint of maple flavor.
The optional streusel topping is made with just 3 ingredients – almond flour, oil, and sugar free sweetener. You can also add a scoop of keto whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon for the ultimate garnish.
Is vanilla extract gluten-free?
In its purest form, true vanilla extract is always gluten-free. I recommend always using pure vanilla extract or a vanilla extract that is certified gluten-free for the best vanilla taste.
While you may be able to find gluten-free imitation vanilla flavor, manufacturers may use additives that are not gluten-free if not specified.
When in doubt, check your local health or specialty foods store or order from a website that offers a large assortment of gluten-free products, such as Thrive Market.
Is there coffee in coffee cake?
Contrary to popular belief, there is actually no coffee in a coffee cake recipe. Typically, a slice of coffee cake is served with a cup of coffee for sipping or dunking.
How to Make Keto Coffee Cake
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk almond flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Add oil, maple flavored syrup, eggs, and vanilla extract, and mix until well combined.
- Spoon batter evenly into your prepared pan. Use the back of the spoon to level it out.
- Optional crumb topping: In a small mixing bowl, mix 1/2 cup almond flour, 3 tablespoons of oil, and 1/4 cup of sweetener.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture on top of the cake, and press it down into the cake batter lightly with the back of a spoon.
- Cool before slicing and serving.
Tips for Making Keto Coffee Cake
You don’t have to be a trained pastry chef to make a great coffee cake. Here are some ways to make sure that your keto almond flour coffee cake has the best taste and texture:
- Always use fresh almond flour. Since almond flour is made of almonds, it can go rancid if not used within the recommended stay fresh date. Be sure to check your almond flour stock regularly so that you’ll know it’s at peak freshness.
- Don’t skimp on the eggs and oil. Remember that almond flour absorbs liquids more rapidly than wheat flours, so it’s important to get the measurements correct.
Why is my coffee cake dry?
There are a few reasons why your coffee cake may have come out less than moist.
- Over mixing: Mixing your ingredients too much can alter the texture of your coffee cake and give it a much more dry crumb. Always make sure that your ingredients are mixed thoroughly, but don’t overdo it, or else you’ll end up with dry cake.
- Over baking: Oven models vary, so I recommend starting with the lowest recommended baking time first to ensure that your low carb coffee cake isn’t over baked. Over baking can dry out your cake, allowing too much of the wet ingredients to absorb or evaporate during the cooking process. To check your low carb almond flour coffee cake for doneness, insert a knife or cake tester into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s done baking. If not, give it another few minutes before removing from the oven.
How to Store Leftover Coffee Cake
This keto cinnamon coffee cake recipe is so delicious that we doubt you’ll have a whole lot leftover. However, if you do find that you have leftovers, you can store it in an air tight container at room temperature.
When stored properly, your low carb coffee cake will taste best when eaten within a week.
Did you make this keto coffee cake recipe? I’d love to know what you thought of it in a comment below.
Pin for later:
Optional: For the crumb topping:
Nutrition Information: Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 116mgCarbohydrates: 12gNet Carbohydrates: 8gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 7g