Have dinner ready in 25 minutes with a simple Keto Cod recipe with a tangy lemon caper sauce.
Interested in another flavorful and tangy keto dish? Try my Keto Pork Chops next.
KETO COD RECIPE
I’m giving you one of my absolute favorite keto dinner recipes. I love this Keto Cod because it’s so simple to make and comes together quickly with only a few ingredients.
Adding fish into your Keto meal plan is really a great idea. Fish add necessary healthy fats to our diets and are high in protein to keep us full and satisfied.
I try to eat fish at least once per week, and I come back to this lemony, briny recipe over and over again.
Instant Pot Salmon is another of my favorite keto fish recipes.
Pick up a jar of capers and a lemon on your next shopping trip so you’re ready to make this Keto Cod Recipe any time.
INGREDIENTS IN KETO COD
Cod – A mild white fish, Cod is sturdy enough that it won’t fall apart when you cook it, but still flaky and delicate to eat.
Salt and Pepper – A standard pair of seasonings, add salt and pepper to taste.
Minced Garlic – I love garlic on fish, and here it goes perfectly with the other ingredients.
Capers – Salty, briny, and slightly bitter, capers are the star of this sauce.
Butter – Try a dairy free butter if you want to make this dish dairy free.
Lemon Juice – I think that all fish dishes benefit from a bit of lemon juice, and lemons go so well with capers and garlic.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE KETO COD
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Salt and pepper both sides of each piece of cod, and cook on each side for 5-6 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer cooked cod to a plate.
- Add the garlic, cappers, butter, and lemon juice to the hot pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove the lemon caper sauce from the heat and spoon it over the cod.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
TIPS FOR COOKING COD
If using frozen Cod fillets, thaw them first before cooking. You can thaw in your refrigerator overnight or for a few hours.
Dry your fish fillets with a paper towel before cooking. This will help prevent sticking.
Cod is done when the internal temperature reaches 130°F.
You can also check for doneness by using a fork. Cod will flake easily when pulled with a fork.
IS COD KETO?
Fish is a very low carb protein source. A 4 ounce serving of cod has 0 carbs, making it an excellent choice for your keto dinner plans. This flavorful Keto Cod recipe adds about 1 net carb per serving to the fish.
CAN I USE OTHER FISH FOR THIS KETO RECIPE?
Any white fish will go well with these flavors. Try halibut or haddock if cod isn’t available.
WHAT GOES WITH KETO COD?
Almost anything goes with this simple fish preparation, but here are some of my suggestions for simple Keto Sides.
Keto Cheddar Biscuits will remind you of that seafood restaurant you’ve been to and are so delicious.
Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts will pair well with the capers in this dish.
Ingredients you’ll always find in our pantry:
Did you make this Keto Cod Recipe? Please leave a comment below letting me know what you thought.
- 1 lb. cod (about 4 pieces)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon capers (or more if you like)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Juice from 1 small lemon
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Salt and pepper both sides of each piece of cod, and cook on each side for 5-6 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer cooked cod to a plate.
- Add the garlic, capers, butter, and lemon juice to the hot pan and cook for 2-3 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat. Spoon lemon caper sauce over the cod.
- Serve warm with your favorite keto sides.
- Lightly pat the cod with a paper towel to dry it before cooking. This will help prevent sticking.
- You can use dairy-free butter to keep this keto cod dairy-free.
- Cod is done when the internal temperature reaches 130°F.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 175Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 259mgCarbohydrates: 1gNet Carbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 26g
The nutrition information for this recipe is an approximate total per serving. Please double check the nutrition information for your exact ingredients and brands.