When you need an afternoon pick-me-up or a great post-workout snack, energy bites are the way to go. These keto chocolate energy bites are filled with protein, caffeine, and healthy fats to keep you satisfied and boost your energy.
If you like keto friendly snacks that you can carry on-the-go, you may also like our Keto Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites.
Keto Energy Bites
Bite sized snacks like energy bites and fat bombs are popular recipes for those following a keto diet. They’re filled with healthy fats and just the right amount of protein to fuel your body without sabotaging your blood sugar.
These keto energy bites are made with two types of gluten-free keto appropriate flours: almond flour and coconut flour. Cocoa powder and fine ground espresso beans are added for texture. Sliced almonds and chopped dark chocolate add crunch and sweetness.
How to Make Keto Energy Bites
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, unsweetened cocoa, and fine ground espresso beans to a medium mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- Add in the coconut oil and maple flavored syrup.
- Mix until combined.
- Add sliced almonds and chopped dark chocolate.
- Stir until combined.
- Roll dough into 1-inch sized balls (bites) and place on a wax paper lined plate or cookie sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Working with Gluten Free Flours
Many keto dessert recipes call for nut flours, which can be tricky. There are a few key points to remember when working with non-wheat flours:
- Oftentimes, you’ll need to use a combination of 2-3 flours in order to mimic the textures of desserts made with wheat flours, and doing so is a bit of a science. I found that a mixture of almond and coconut flours gives these chocolate energy bites the best consistency.
- Keep in mind that neither almond flour nor coconut flour are 1:1 substitute for wheat flours. In fact, coconut flour is far more absorbent than other flours, so it’s critical to follow the recipe and use exact measurements. Otherwise, your keto dessert treats may come out with a rather undesirable texture.
- Be sure that you’re not over mixing. Always mix gently until the ingredients are just combined.
What can I substitute for coffee in these low carb energy bites?
The ground espresso beans give depth to the chocolate flavor in this keto energy bites recipe. If you don’t want to or can’t use coffee, you can use your favorite keto protein powder. For best results, I recommend using a chocolate flavored protein powder.
How long do energy balls stay fresh?
When stored properly, these keto energy balls will stay fresh for up to a week. After refrigerating the energy bites to firm them, I recommend placing them into an airtight container. Store the container on your counter at room temperature for best results.
Did you try this keto energy bites recipe? Please come back and leave us a comment telling us your thoughts.
Pin for later:
Nutrition Information: Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 bite
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 14mgCarbohydrates: 3gNet Carbohydrates: 1gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g