What is more comforting than a smooth, delicious, creamy broccoli cheese soup? A keto broccoli cheese soup that is made in less than 30 minutes in your instant pot.
KETO BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP RECIPE
I have been making some delicious keto soups lately. If you haven't already, check out my Instant Pot Keto Cauliflower Soup; you won't regret it.
Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup is also made in the instant pot and that means it's ready quickly, and tastes like you spent all day making it.
This Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup is everything that you want out of a broccoli soup. It's savory, creamy, cheesy, and the perfect thing to warm you up on a cold day.
With just a few simple ingredients, you'll be on your way to a delicious, creamy bowl of Keto Broccoli Soup in no time.
INGREDIENTS IN KETO BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
Unsalted Butter - Using unsalted butter in this recipe allows you to control the amount of seasoning and sodium in your recipe.
Onion - Diced onion forms the base flavor for the broth.
Garlic - Is added to the onion to create a warm, comforting flavor.
Vegetable Broth - You can use chicken broth if you like, but vegetable broth really brings out the flavor of the broccoli.
Salt - We add salt to bring all of the flavors together, season to your liking.
Pepper - Pepper adds just a bit of spice and brightness to your soup.
Cayenne Pepper - Cayenne adds a second layer of spice that is perfect here. Leave it out if you like, or adjust to your own taste.
Broccoli - Obviously we need broccoli for broccoli cheese soup. The florets cook up perfectly tender in this soup. Broccoli is a low-carb vegetable with only 3.5g net carbs per cup (91g).
Cream Cheese - This gives the soup the perfect creamy texture.
Cheddar Cheese - I prefer sharp cheddar in this recipe, but use your favorite.
Heavy Whipping Cream - I always have this on hand for keto recipes. Cream adds luscious creaminess to this soup.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE KETO BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
- Turn the Instant Pot on “Sauté” and wait for it to heat up. Add the butter and once melted, add the onion. Cook as directed.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for as directed. Turn off the instant pot.
- Add the vegetable broth, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, broccoli florets, and cream cheese to the Instant Pot. Make sure the cream cheese is nestled into the liquid. Put the lid on the Instant Pot and cook as directed in the recipe.
- Stir in part of the shredded cheddar cheese a handful at a time.
- Stir in the heavy whipping cream.
- Serve warm topped with remaining cheddar cheese.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
HOW TO MAKE THICKER BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP
This recipe makes a fairly thick, creamy soup. There are few options if you want your soup to be thicker than it already is.
Add More Cheese - Cheese in this recipe is the main thickener, so by adding more of it, you'll get a thicker, cheesier soup. Keep in mind that this will change the nutrition facts.
Blend It - Taking a blender to part or all of the soup before adding the cheese in will create bulk that will make the soup seem thicker.
Cook It Longer - if you cook the soup at a low simmer after adding the heavy cream, the cream will reduce and thicken. Keep your flame low to make sure not to scorch it.
I would avoid adding any type of starch to thicken the soup, as that would add carbs to the recipe.
TIPS FOR MAKING KETO BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
This recipe is pretty simple, but there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure that you end up with a creamy, delicious soup.
Add the cheese a little bit at a time. If you add it all in at once there is a chance that it will clump up and not melt properly. Go slow.
Cut your broccoli into small florets. You want them at the size they will be when you eat the soup, so each piece should be small enough to fit on your spoon.
Cheddar cheese has a good amount of salt in it, so be careful what type of broth you use. You can always start with a low sodium broth and add more salt later.
Did you make this Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup? Please leave a comment below letting me know what you thought.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 24 ounces (3 cups) vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces cheddar, shredded, divided
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- Turn the Instant Pot on “Sauté” and wait for it to heat up. Add the butter and once melted, add the onion. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Press “Cancel” to turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the vegetable broth, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, broccoli florets, and cream cheese to the Instant Pot. Make sure the cream cheese is nestled into the liquid. Put the lid on the Instant Pot and set it to “Sealing”. Cook on “Manual, High Pressure” for 2 minutes. Once it’s finished, carefully release the valve.
- Stir in 6 ounces of the shredded cheddar cheese a handful at a time.
- Stir in the heavy whipping cream.
- Serve warm topped with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock for a richer flavor.
- Use low-sodium or no-salt-added stock if desired, add more or less salt to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 121mgSodium: 600mgCarbohydrates: 6gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 15g
The nutrition information for this recipe is an approximate total per serving. Please double check the nutrition information for your exact ingredients and brands.